Monday, November 23, 2009

Getting to know...

Richard Schafer, Executive Chef

What is your job title? I am the Executive Chef for Cuscowilla. I oversee the food operation, which entails ordering, food production, costing, menu writing and customer service.

How long have you been here at Cuscowilla? I have been working here for the past 4 years.

What do you enjoy most about your job? I truly enjoy sitting down with our customers and guests and creating something just for them, taking their dislikes, wants and special dietary needs into consideration.

What is your favorite thing about Cuscowilla? The thing that attracted me to Cuscowilla was the working atmosphere. From the natural surrounding to the special design of the golf course to the style of customer service, there is always a wave of greeting from someone as you around the Cuscowilla property.

What’s your favorite thing to do outside of work? I enjoy woodworking and bowl turning. If the chance arises, I like taking fly fishing trips. I'm also a bit of a wine geek so there's always a way to work in a winery when I'm traveling.

What’s new and great in F&B? Our Sous Chef, Carly Knight, is teaching cooking classes at our Golf House Grill. As for me, I'm always looking to bring new and different things to our menu. One of the recent favorites around here is brown sugar candied applewood smoked bacon on a skewer!

What will you be having for Thanksgiving? I will be traveling home for a family Thanksgiving and I'll be doing all of the cooking (it's a real busman's holiday!). I'll be cooking potatoes leek soup, classic sage stuffing and rasted turkey (which is filled with apples, onions, sage, celery, salt and pepper. We'll also be having beets with orange, asparagus with hollandaise, green beans and almonds, whipped potatoes and maybe wild rice (if I can find room on the stove!). Lastly, we'll have roasted pumpkin pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment